Hello from a new face!

• Hello,

I am new to this forum and I thought I would introduce myself. I'm in my early 30s and live in Victoria, though I'm originally from the East Coast. When I'm able to work, I have attained a fulfilling mid-career position in public health with a very supportive team.

I've suffered from repeated herniated discs since I was in my late teens, though until my late 20s they healed up pretty well in a more typical fashion. Then I had a disc rupture that required emergency surgery about 6 years ago. It was a great success! Shortly after that my job moved me to Vancouver where I worked hard to make sure it didn't happen again - quit smoking, list 50lbs, adhered to an anti inflammatory diet, and undertook a program of regular strength training, walking, swimming, and massage therapy. It was the best my back has ever been in my whole life. Three years ago I was transferred to Victoria and injured the same disc after the move and was ultimately diagnosed with benign joint hypermobility syndrome. Two years later I found relief from a combination of an intesive chiropractic and postural rehabilitation program, and coaching on using food as medicine for pain and mood disorders. My back pain (residual and arthritic) actually resolved for a few weeks last fall! Then the disc reherniated in January and I've been a total misery guts ever since - currently on sick leave and largely house bound while I wait for a surgical consult and an appointment at a pain clinic.

I met my wonderful partner here in Victoria and he has been a tremendous support through all this, as well as my family (by distance). I'm really fortunate in many regards and I'm truely grateful for the many good things I have going for me in my situation.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to learning from others on this forum and getting a little inspiration or (hopefully) support from others in a simmilar boat as I've been pretty withdrawn and feeling a little less optimistic and hopeful than I usually do. I think sharing and providing support in turn will be a very positive thing for me as well. This too shall pass I'm sure! Just a little rough patch on my journey no doubt.

Thanks so much! Hope you have a lovely day!

Wannifer