Flare-Ups 101—Prevention, Planning, and Troubleshooting: November 5, 2016

• Great question. Flare ups can be any sort of shift away from baseline levels of chronic pain (as in - anything that feels like your pain gets worse temporarily). I would say that flares can be categorized as mild, medium, and severe, and each would have it's own set of guidelines for management. In chronic pain flare-ups, it is typically unrelated to a new problem or a new danger in the body, but rather an increased sensitivity in the nervous system - so that means that flare-ups may be painful, and can provoke anxiety, but are not an indication of actual damage.

@Forum_Moderator said:

@kristafriesen Hi Krista! Thank you for being here today. We'll start off by asking you a question: For those of us who might not know, how would you characterize a flare-up?

• @kristafriesen Hi Krista! Thank you for being here today. We'll start off by asking you a question: For those of us who might not know, how would you characterize a flare-up?

• Hi everyone! I'm Krista and I'll be answering questions about flare-ups today. I'm really excited to be involved in this event, and kicking off National Pain Awareness Week. Thanks PainBC for hosting me!