Book #1: Miracle in a Mill by Paul Henczel

• We're excited to announce the launch of our virtual Book Club on the Live Plan Be Forum. This is your chance to read first-hand accounts, inspiring stories, and useful advice, and then enjoy a conversation about it online.

The first book is Miracle in a Mill: Crushed Alive! by Paul Henczel, a father and husband from Abbotsford who had his life changed drastically when he was crushed by 12,000 pounds of wood in a horrific workplace accident. Paul was rescued after a period of unconsciousness and was rushed to the hospital with multiple severe injuries. He miraculously survived certain death to achieve what most would say was impossible, and went on to finish his university degree and inspire others through motivational speaking.

Paul told his story on our Pain Waves podcast on September 28, 2016. Now he will be available to answer your questions about his experiences and overcoming obstacles right here!

Buy Paul’s book on Amazon.

Log in to your Live Plan Be account and hit "Reply" below to ask Paul a question!

Don't have an account? Create one!

1. Click “Create Account” in the top right-hand corner of https://forum.liveplanbe.ca/.
    2. Follow the prompts and create your username and password (your username can be anything you like if you wish to remain anonymous).
    3. Start posting on Live Plan Be!

DISCLAIMER: We have chosen this book to help promote discussion among people living with pain. The views expressed in this publication do not necessarily reflect the views of Pain BC or Live Plan Be.

• Good question.

It was not easy, but definitely necessary. I knew at that time that I now had my main support behind me, my wife and kids. I could not do it alone, but now I didn't have to. I also knew that I wasn't paralyzed, so I gave it a try.

Sometimes taking that first step is the hardest, but it builds momentum. I thought that surviving what I did was probably the most difficult, so drawing on that was helpful; "If I could do that then, then I can do this now." I knew things would work out, I did not know how, or how long it would take... but I knew I would get through it.

I had to fight to regain some of what I lost, and I also did not want to be a burden. The process was one step at a time. I was going to do what I could, until I could do more. I had to push myself and allow myself to learn along the way. The most important things in life are worth fighting for. I hope that answer helps explain things a bit. Take care.

• Paul, I read your book! It was so inspiring.

I have a question for you: In Chapter 4, you say "I made a choice and my long process to acceptance and recovery had begun."

That can't have been an easy task -- can you describe how you arrived at that crossroads and choice?

• @P-Henczel Hi Paul, welcome to Live Plan Be!

If you haven't yet heard Paul's story, please read his book and/or check out his interview on Pain Waves Radio.

• Hello everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I am Paul Henczel, and author of "Miracle in a Mill". I look forward to hearing from you and answering any questions you may have.

I wanted to personally thank Pain BC for their support and encouragement, specifically, Andrea, Samantha, and Geraldine. My experience has been fantastic and they have been very helpful.

Please, take a moment to listen to my interview on Pain Waves Radio, and feel free to ask me any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.

You can find more information about me, and my program Story Academy here:
    www.storyacademy.ca

Take care.