How I broke the fear cycle

• This post is in response to Re: Time to Get Out of Bed but hopefully can help others.

Hi, I was a total wreck a few months ago. My pain was so bad I felt the same way...I just didn't want to get out of bed. From your post I can tell you have a lot of fear about your pain...for good reason. I had a lot of fear too. So I was prescribed to start a therapy called ISTDP (Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy)...okay okay...so I know what you're saying..."psychotherapy" is for nut jobs right?..well that's what I thought, but it's just a scary name for a type of counselling. That's it. Anyway, it got me out of my mental funk. It gave me the power to do things like go to the pool, and things got better overall. Because, yes, you have pain, but some of the fear of the pain you have is self fulfilling, but you already know that... So this type of therapy breaks that fear cycle. That's its specific purpose. It got me unstuck, so it might help you too. The thing is, you have already started to get yourself 'unstuck' by taking steps forward, which takes an immense amount of mental strength, so awesome job. You have done something that not many others can do. Just wanted to put out there, something else that may help. ☺

• Hi @hutchman, that's a great story for @DonnaI and @SCIpain and other LPB users on what worked for you. We believe in a mixed approach to managing pain, including counselling, and making small goals. Trying a new treatment can often be scary and overwhelming - it's not easy to get out of your comfort zone and try to become "unstuck." Taking it a little bit at a time is a great way to start!